Taught by Claire-Marie Landré
Ashtanga Yoga Self Practice Cycles – Learn and Practice at your own pace.
When we practice Ashtanga Yoga, we practice a sequence of postures connected by movement, breath and awareness. This is my favourite way to learn yoga, which is through one-on-one instruction from the teacher, in a group setting.
Classes are offered in 6-8-week cycles.
You can choose between 1x per week or 2x per week.
The beginner starts with memorizing a sequence of postures that is instructed step by step. The months and even years that follow the student deepens, refines and explores this and other sequences and practices. Inevitably this self-exploration permeates into all aspects of your life.
The teacher gives each student personal instruction, carefully observing and taking into account their body, capabilities and intentions.
Mysore Style is the traditional method in which Ashtanga Yoga is taught. The name originates from the city in the south of India where Sri K. Pattabhi Jois taught this method untill his death in 2009. However, individual instruction between student and teacher is a method used for many generations in the Hatha Yoga tradition and in the lineage of Sri T. Krishnamacharya (of whom Sri K. Pattabhi Jois was a direct student).
The method allows students to learn at their own pace and the teacher connects to the level and needs of each student. Due to experience the teacher can see what the student needs to work on and when it is time to add or modify postures to the sequence. This allows the student to build a personal, lifelong practice.
“There is a sense of togetherness through the sound of breath that vibrates through the room while we focus our attention inwards to research more within ourselves”.
Direct transmission and personal instruction between student and teacher is one of the main aspects of this practice. Through sustained dedication, self-discipline and working with an experienced teacher over a longer period of time, you are able to deepen the connection between body, mind and heart, which reflects onto all levels of your daily life. It is a practice where true transformation takes place.
There is much to say about the effects that the yoga will have on a student. Everyone takes their own personal journey of discovery.
Discovery happens through guiding the attention to different areas of the body and the mind. To stimulate an inward attention and awareness, you learn and practice to concentrate on the breath, gazing points (drishti) and energy locks (bandha’s). Over time you may develop the ability to observe the fluctuations of the mind and emotions and move further into inner exploration.
To get the most of the benefits you may work towards a daily practice. This requires a certain degree of discipline that will also manifest itself in different areas of life.
Strength & Flexibility
While the body becomes stronger and more flexible, you will also develop a strong mind and a flexible attitude towards the ever changing dynamics of life.
Health and happiness
Practicing Yoga will help to purify the body and rectify imbalances. The asanas work on the skeletal system as well as specific organs and have many therapeutic qualities. Few examples are improved digestion, breath awareness and better circulation. Many lives have been transformed through consistent practice.
Join a small and intimate group of practitioners to explore this wonderful yoga method where we let movement and breath carry us through our inner landscapes.
This space is open to ALL LEVELS. In a small group setting there is space for individual attention to explain everything from the beginning, or explore more advanced options knowing that you will feel guided by the teacher as well as the supportive group energy.
If you have no prior knowledge, or you have only followed led classes, you are WELCOME. Please do not let this hold you back from learning yoga in this traditional and very valuable way. All you need is a willingness and curiosity to learn and explore the yoga practice. If you are curious, but still not sure, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so we can meet and have a talk about it.
In this practice cycle it is possible to:
- Learn a basic yoga self-practice.
- Develop your yoga self-practice and discipline by showing up with & joining forces with fellow practitioners 1 or 2 mornings per week.
- Take the next step from led classes to exploring self-practice.
- Explore next steps in your practice, be it, advancing to new asanas or series, or deepening your understanding of breath and energetics.
- Develop a yoga practice taking into account any (old) injuries, your body type, your energy and not unimportant, your daily schedule and home situation.
- Take the first steps to developing a lifelong, sustainable self-practice under the guidance of an experienced teacher.
Wednesdays 7:00-9:00 & Sundays 8:00-10:00
» Sunday 5 SEPTEMBER to Wednesday 27 OCTOBER // €200 (instead of €240) // BOOK YOUR SPOT
» Sunday 31 OCTOBER to Wednesday 22 DECEMBER // €200 (instead of €240) // BOOK YOUR SPOT
» Wednesday 8 SEPTEMBER to Wednesday 27 OCTOBER // €120 // BOOK YOUR SPOT
» Wednesday 3 NOVEMBER to Wednesday 22 DECEMBER // €120 // BOOK YOUR SPOT
» Sunday 5 SEPTEMBER to Sunday 24 OCTOBER // €120 // BOOK YOUR SPOT
» Sunday 31 OCTOBER to Sunday 19 DECEMBER // €120 // BOOK YOUR SPOT
Prices include VAT
I strongly believe that if you really want to learn Yoga there is a way.
If you are facing financial challenges payment in instalments or a modified price, or an exchange is possible, please contact me to discuss this option.
Good to Know:
- Each practice-cycle is limited to a minimum of 6 participants and a maximum of 12 participants and will only proceed if the minimum number of registrants is filled.
- Please bring your own yoga mat.
- When you embark on a yoga self practice, it is recommended to commit to at least 3 days of practice per week. Even if it means 15-20 minutes per day. Therefore, permit yourself at least one day a week of home practice. This is a wonderful opportunity to integrate what you learn/experience in class, to establish your home practice time and space and helps to develop discipline and consistency, all which will allow you to really experience the great benefits of yoga practice.
- During each cycle, we reflect on a few phrases from important yogic texts. These will be sent to you by e-mail. This is optional and only recommended if you feel pulled towards the reflection on yogic philosophy.
- Full & New Moon
If moondays fall on Wednesday or Sunday we get together for meditation and group discussion. We rest from asana practice on these days.
- Should you have any injuries or sensitivities in your body, please inform the teacher at the beginning of your practice.
- During your menstrual cycle (ladies holiday), it is highly recommended to rest from physical yoga practice on the heaviest days (1st to third day) You are free to take rest on this day, or come to class and do a more restorative/meditative practice.
- I will be available by phone and email for the duration of the cycle, should you need extra support or advice in your practice.
- Please note, yoga is not a substitute for medical or psychological treatment or therapy. If you have any (recent) trauma, injuries, chronic pain or disease please contact me directly to discuss if yoga can be an additional tool towards your healing.
- By booking this course you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and are in agreement with the above statements.